Before I formed you in the womb I knew you

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
-Jeremiah 1:5

Monday, March 18, 2013

Blegh, Homework


     I have to be honest, I’m worried about this whole adoption thing. Not that I’m concerned about us having a kid or anything. That’s the great part. The part that worries me is what happens a few years from now. School. It scares me to death.

     Now, for the record, I finished elementary school, high school, and college. Graduated from them all and did pretty well, I guess, but that stuff was easy. When my kid goes to school, he’s going to be bringing home homework. And inevitably he’s going to have something he needs help with and who will he go to? One of us. My only hope is that I can find some excuse to leave the room and make Ashley help him. And I don’t care how flimsy of an excuse I can find, if I don’t know the answer, I’m getting out of there. Taking out the trash, walking the dog, moving to Canada…nothing is off the table.

    That seems like an odd thing to worry about, I’m sure, but I just did my first book report in over a decade and it nearly made my head explode. As a part of our adoption paperwork, we had to read a book and fill out a short questionnaire giving our thoughts on the book. Easy enough, right? Wrong. It was awful! I mean, we read the book, we discussed, and did everything the way we were supposed to, but when it came time to write about our thoughts on the book….nothing. Drawing a total blank. I mean, seriously, we make children do this at school?! What’s the matter with these teachers?! This is torture! Maybe it’s just because the last time I finished a book report, Bill Clinton was president, but it was almost painful. I’m fully expecting our agency to think that we paid some 4th grader to write it for us.

     I’m sure we’re overreacting. I’m sure they’ll read it and think it was all ok, but either way, it’s got me worried. I think I can help our kid through addition and subtraction, but after that I’m in trouble. I guess this is something all parents have to deal with though, because once you stop doing some of that school work you get out of practice quick! Until we get our child home though, we’ll try to make sure we’re academically fit to raise a child. Just in case we’re not though, Ashley’s mom is a 3rd grade teacher. It’s always good to have a built-in backup plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment